This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
This sweet potato pecan casserole will quickly take a place of honor at any holiday dinner. In fact, it’s so delicious you’ll want to serve it year round.
My grandparents had a farm in Mississippi, where my grandfather grew sweet potatoes. They were amazing and undeniably the best sweet potatoes I’ve ever had in my life.
One of the things that made them so good was the fact that the land was so fertile. Another was that my grandmother knew how to cook them to bring out their natural sugar.
That’s why I always preferred my sweet potatoes right out of the jackets they were grown in. However, most people expect a lot of other things on their sweet potatoes during celebrations and holidays.
Many times, whenever I’m baking sweet potatoes for dinner, I’ve added extra potatoes to enjoy the next day for lunch. They’re so good it’s like getting a meal and dessert, all rolled into one.
Sometimes I have a cucumber and tomato salad on the side. But other times, all I have is the sweet potato.
Sweet potatoes and pork go together really well. That’s why I recommend having them with these sesame ginger ribs.
Sweet Potato Pecan Casserole Ingredients
You’ll need sweet potatoes, evaporated milk, eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon, butter, brown sugar, uncooked oats, and pecans.
Marshmallows are optional. I prefer this casserole without them, but I usually put them on the top of one side, leaving a corner bare for anyone who prefers not to have them.
How to Make a Crunchy Sweet Potato Pecan Casserole
First, bake the sweet potatoes on a low temperature for a couple of hours. This gives them time to release their natural sugars. Set the potatoes aside and allow them to cool slightly so you can handle them more easily.
After they’re ready, scoop the inside out of the potatoes into a large mixing bowl.
Next, add the milk, vanilla, half of the cinnamon, and the half of the butter. Stir.
Add beaten eggs to the mixture and stir again.
Pour the mixture into your baking pan or casserole dish.
Grind the uncooked oats in your food processor. Combine them with brown sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter. Fold in the chopped pecans.
Finally, spread this mixture over the sweet potato mixture in the casserole dish.
I also like to add some pecan halves on top. Bake for a half hour. Remove from the oven.
If you want marshmallows, sprinkle them on top. I usually leave a corner without marshmallows because I prefer not to have them. Return to the oven and bake until the marshmallows are a golden brown.
Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are as good for you as they are delicious. Here are some of their benefits according to Health.com:
- They are loaded with vitamin A and C—both nutrients essential for a healthy immune system, organs, skin, and vision.
- Sweet potatoes have antioxidants that have an anti-aging effect and protect you from a number of diseases.
- They are also anti-inflammatory, which protects you from many different diseases, including type-2 diabetes, cancer, and heart disease.
- Sweet potatoes are high in fiber, which keeps your digestive system functioning properly and helps maintain a healthy weight.
- One cup of sweet potato contains more than twice the amount of potassium as a banana. Potassium is essential for heart health and maintaining a healthy blood pressure.
These are all good reasons to add more sweet potatoes to your diet. However, in my world, the fact that they are delicious is all the reason I need. They are definitely one of my favorite foods.
- 3 large baked sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup of evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of melted butter (1 stick)
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 cup of uncooked oats
- 2/3 cup of chopped pecans
- 2 cups of mini marshmallows (optional)
- Bake the sweet potatoes in a 325-degree oven for 2 hours. Allow them to cool to slightly warmer than room temperature to make them easier to work with.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8” x 8” casserole dish or baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Scoop the insides of the baked sweet potatoes into a large mixing bowl. Add the milk, vanilla, half of the cinnamon, and the half of the butter.
- Beat the eggs and add those to the sweet potato mixture. Mix well.
- Pour the sweet potato mixture into the casserole dish or baking pan.
- Put the uncooked oats in your food processor and grind them. You can pulverize them until they are the consistency of flour, but I like them a little bit bigger than that.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine the ground oats with the brown sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter. Mix until the consistency is like clumpy wet sand. Stir in the chopped pecans.
- Evenly spread the oat mixture over the sweet potato mixture in the casserole dish. You can add a few more pecans on top if you want.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle the mini marshmallows over the top if you want them. Return to the oven for 10 minutes, until the tops of the marshmallows turn a light golden brown.
- Serve warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 414 Total Fat 21g Saturated Fat 9g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 11g Cholesterol 82mg Sodium 166mg Carbohydrates 51g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 5g Sugar 30g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 7g