Sausage and kale bake is one of those meals that you can eat alone or with a side. Although it’s hearty enough to fill you up, it lends itself to starring alongside an accompaniment like a mini version of this Mediterranean salad.
Presentation for a Sausage and Kale Bake
I’ve always enjoyed having my food served in ramekins or au gratin dishes. For this reason, I purchased a set so we can have some of our favorite casseroles served restaurant style.
However, this sausage and kale bake can be cooked in a standard casserole dish and scooped onto plates. It’s just as good and probably easier when you have more than a few people at the dinner table.
What are Different Types of Sausage You Can Use?
I chose a spicy (hot) pork sausage this time, but turkey sausage is good too. It doesn’t matter, as long as it’s loose and you can brown it like you would ground beef. Above all, the flavor is the most important aspect of this dish.
What are the Health Benefits of Kale?
Not only is kale loaded with vitamins but it also provides quite a bit of fiber. Additionally, it adds flavor and color to food so you’ll enjoy it more.
Sausage and Kale Bake Ingredients
You’ll need sausage and chopped kale (fresh or frozen). I also like sliced mushrooms in mine, but you can substitute black olives. Add an egg, some chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, breadcrumbs, and a little seasoning.
How to Make a Sausage and Kale Bake
First, you need to brown the sausage.
After it’s done, add the kale.
Then toss the mushrooms (or whatever you choose as the third main item) into the pan. Well, don’t exactly toss them since that can get quite messy. But you know what I mean.
In a large bowl, beat the egg, mix in the chicken broth, splash some Worcestershire sauce, and add the breadcrumbs. Put half of each kind of cheese in the bowl and stir until everything is mixed.
Pour the mixture into ramekins, au gratin dishes, or a casserole dish. Top with the remaining cheese.
Bake until the cheese is golden. Remove from the oven and enjoy!
More Blogs I Follow
As a foodie, I love reading other people’s blogs and getting new recipes. Here are some of my favorites:
Back to My Southern Roots
Make It to Friday
Julia’s Simply Southern
Big Bear’s Wife
Mrs. Happy Homemaker
Sweet Little Bluebird
Miz Helen’s Country Cottage
The Country Cook
The Pin Junkie
- 1/2 roll of pork or turkey sausage
- 1 cup of chopped kale
- 1 cup of sliced fresh mushrooms (optional)
- 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of seasoned breadcrumbs (regular or gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste (or seasoned salt)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray nonstick cooking spray into 2 large ramekins or individual baking dishes.
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Add the kale and mushrooms (optional). Stir and continue cooking until the kale is tender and the mushrooms are golden.
- Whisk an egg in a medium-size bowl. Add the Worcestershire sauce, chicken broth, half of the cheese, and breadcrumbs. Stir until well mixed.
- After the sausage mixture is done, allow it to cool until slightly warm. Combine it with the egg and breadcrumb mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into the ramekins. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the mixture.
- Place both ramekins in a pan to protect them from direct heat. Put them in the oven.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes.
- Serve this with potatoes, rice, or all by themselves. Enjoy!
You can substitute chopped spinach or zucchini for the kale if you prefer. If you don’t care for mushrooms, you may substitute olives or leave them out.
Amount Per Serving Calories 610 Total Fat 32g Saturated Fat 14g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 14g Cholesterol 219mg Sodium 1685mg Carbohydrates 37g Fiber 5g Sugar 7g Protein 45g