An Italian potato is one of those go-to dishes for when you’re hungry but don’t have much time. Not only is it delicious but it also has a ton of flavor that satisfies even the pickiest of eaters. Add a salad, and you still have a family dinner under $10.
We keep quite a few pantry basics on hand, so there is always something good to eat around here. And I’ve concocted some things that are surprisingly tasty—things we’ve added to our must-have-again list. For example, this delicious potato dish is one of them. Another is the mac-n-cheese with ham casserole.
Basic Italian Potato
There are quite a few ways to prepare an Italian potato. Basically, it’s a potato with Italian sauce and seasonings. Then you can add whatever you like.
Even though I like made-from-scratch sauces, I usually purchase Italian sauce in the largest jar. That way, I have something for dishes such as the Italian potato or even my scrumptious mini stuffed peppers.
Loaded for Flavor
My husband and I both like to add as much as we can to our potatoes. Of course, they overflow onto the plate, but that’s just fine with us.
There is a lot you can add to your potato. For example, you can top it with pepperoni, ham, or any other meat you have in the fridge. I also like mushrooms, bell peppers, olives, and sometimes, even broccoli. If we’re having it for dinner, we add more than we would for a snack.
How to Make the Italian Potato
Start out with any type of potato you like to bake.
Pierce the potato to allow the steam to escape as it cooks.
Put it in the microwave and cook it on high until it’s done. The time can vary based on the size of the potato and strength of the microwave.
After you let the potato rest for a few minutes, cut it open.
Then scoop some of the white part into a bowl.
Mix it with some of the inside of the potato with the sauce. Put it back into the potato.
Add whatever filling you like, such as pepperoni slices and mushrooms. If you like the potato extra moist, add another spoonful of Italian sauce. You now have an Italian potato, but you’re not done yet.
Cover the potato to keep it from splattering and microwave it again.Remove from the microwave and sprinkle some cheese on top.
Microwave it until the cheese melts.
Now you have a delicious Italian potato that goes well with a side salad. Or simply eat it all by itself.
Brown Bag It
If your office has a kitchen with a microwave, you can take an Italian potato to work with you. It’s easy if you do most of it at home and bring the cheese in a separate container.
All you have to do when it’s time for lunch is heat the potato, add the cheese, and then melt the cheese. Don’t be surprised if your lunch buddies copy you in the future.
Food Blogs I Follow
- 1 potato (I used a medium baking potato.)
- 3-4 tablespoons Italian sauce
- 1/4 cup of cheese
- 1/4 cup of filling (filling options: 5 pepperoni slices, diced ham, mushrooms diced peppers, chopped onions, olives, or broccoli)
- Scrub the potato and puncture it about a half dozen times with a fork.
- Place the potato on a microwave-safe dish and microwave it on high for approximately 5 minutes. This can vary, based on the size of the potato and microwave strength.
- Remove the potato from the microwave and let it rest for approximately 5 minutes.
- Cut a slit lengthwise across the top of the potato and scoop out some of the insides.
- Put the inside (white part) in a bowl. Add 2-3 tablespoons of Italian sauce and mash it up using a fork.
- Put the mashed potato and Italian sauce back inside the potato. Add the fillings you have chosen.
- Cover and place in the microwave for 45 seconds.
- Remove the potato and sprinkle with cheese. Put it back in the microwave for approximately 20 seconds, until the cheese melts.
- Now it is ready to eat. Enjoy!
Feel free to add more than the listed amount of ingredients if you prefer.
Serve this delicious potato with a side salad, and you have a complete meal.
Serving Size1 loaded potato
Amount Per Serving Calories 543 Total Fat 20g Saturated Fat 9g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 9g Cholesterol 85mg Sodium 1359mg Carbohydrates 61g Fiber 8g Sugar 15g Protein 32g
More Quick and Easy Meals
There are obviously times when you want something hearty, but you can’t stop for long. That’s when you’ll need something like this Italian potato, a basic chicken salad sandwich, or a quick and easy egg muffin cup.