Chicken salad is one of the first things I think of when I get to the last of a rotisserie chicken. After all, I hate the idea of wasting a single bit of such deliciousness. Chicken salad sandwiches are perfect for lunch, dinner, and party food.
When you set up a buffet for guests, include a selection of sandwiches. Your guests will love these as well as the southern style pimento cheese sandwiches. You can serve both on whatever bread you prefer.
Chances are, I’ve already made several dishes with one of the chickens from Costco. Some of our favorites include chicken stew, chicken enchiladas, and chicken and rice casserole. And when we’re in the mood for something extra spicy, I make chicken creole with rice. There are so many other wonderful dishes you can make from one rotisserie chicken.
I’ve always enjoyed the Costco chickens because they’re almost double the size of the ones from other stores. Plus they’re quite a bit less expensive. I typically get at least three—sometimes four—meals out of one chicken.
You can also use home-cooked chicken for this recipe. However, you’ll probably spend more money and definitely spend more time making it.
Basic Ingredients for Chicken Salad
There are so many different ways you can make a chicken salad sandwich. For example, you can do the basic recipe, which is what I’m sharing here. Or you can add seasonings and other ingredients for more flavors.
The basic ingredients I typically start with are pieces of the cut-up chicken, mayonnaise, and pickle relish. I prefer sweet relish, but if I don’t have it, I use whatever type of pickles I have on hand.
Chicken Salad Add-Ons
Although this sandwich is delectable as is, try adding something different. Here are some of our favorites:
- Nuts and seeds – Crushed peanuts, pecans, almonds, and sunflower seeds add flavor and nutrition.
- Vegetables – My husband and I enjoy adding chopped celery, onions, carrots, and even diced bell peppers in our chicken salad.
- Fruit – If you like a hint of sweetness, you’ll probably enjoy the taste of chopped apples or raisins.
- Spices – Some of the spices that will enhance the flavor of your chicken salad sandwich include cinnamon, curry, or basil.
- Sauces and Dressings – If you want to venture out beyond mayonnaise, tryWorcestershire sauce, teriyaki sauce, sweet Vidalia salad dressing or ranch. Others you might enjoy include French or Catalina dressings.
Breads and Wraps
If you’d like to try something different, besides sandwich bread, there are many other options. You can basically use anything that holds the filling. Some bread options include hamburger buns, hoagie rolls, bagels, English muffins, cornbread, and gluten-free breads. Also try large leaf lettuce or cabbage. If you choose cabbage, it’s more pliable if you steam it for a few seconds, making it much easier to wrap.
Add the chopped chicken, pickle relish, and mayonnaise in a bowl large enough for the amount you’re making. You can add salt and pepper, but I normally don’t.
Mix all three ingredients well. If you decide to include some add-ins, stir them into the mixture too.
Next, spread the mixture on bread or the wrap of your choice. I like to pile on the mixture really thick.
Finally, add lettuce for extra nutrition and texture. You’ll love the crunch with the lettuce.
This sandwich is delicious when served with soup or a side of chips.
Chicken salad sandwiches are the ideal party food. You can cut it into quarters, with or without the crust, and stack them on plates. Or you can put them on a three-tiered platter to make it the food table visually interesting. Make sure you have plenty of sandwiches to refill the platter because your friends will love them.
Frequently Asked Questions About Chicken Salad
Chicken salad is a favorite food among many Americans. However, you may have some questions about how to store it and how long it lasts.
How Long Does Chicken Salad Last?
If you store chicken salad properly in the refrigerator, it can last at least three days. Don’t leave it at room temperature for more than two hours.
Can You Freeze Chicken Salad?
You can freeze chicken salad for as long as three months. After thawing it, you’ll need to stir it to help restore it close to its original texture.
How Can You Tell if Chicken Salad Has Gone Bad?
There are several ways you may be able to tell if it is bad. First, if it smells bad, don’t eat it. Secondly, if it is discolored, it’s probably no longer good. Finally, if you’ve left it out longer than the recommended time, toss it.
If you enjoyed this recipe and would like to see more, please sign up for my newsletter.
I follow some blogs that include Make It to Friday, a mom blog written by my daughter. I also like Back to My Southern Roots, a food blog that will make you drool if you like sweets. Others I enjoy are Miz Helen’s Country Cottage and Marilyn’s Treats.
- 1 cup of chopped cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of sweet pickle relish
- 4 slices of bread
- 1/2 cup of lettuce leaves
- In a medium-size bowl, mix the chopped chicken, mayonnaise, and pickle relish. Make sure it is well coated
- Place two slices of bread on each of two plates. Spread the chicken salad mixture on one slice of bread on each plate.
- Add the lettuce leaves on top of the mixture. Put the other slice of bread on top and cut the sandwich in half to make it easier to handle.
- Enjoy with soup or chips.
Amount Per Serving Calories 429 Total Fat 21g Saturated Fat 5g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 15g Cholesterol 69mg Sodium 564mg Carbohydrates 37g Fiber 2g Sugar 8g Protein 22g